Have an account?

Friday, October 2, 2009

The "Twilight" mania


So you'd think that when you reach the mid-twenties, you become more of a mature person (yeah I sometimes would like to think of myself as mature), realistic, responsible and not in any possible scenario you would believe in fairytales or any of that crap…But you can be wrong...
One day I was all I described above, and the second day I feel I'm a 17 year old girl in love with a 17 year old vampire in a book,and is materialized physically in the movie but the problem is that HE DOESN'T EVEN EXIST in real life...

"Oh but he's a good vampire, and he's smart and he's not too young since he's been 17 for like 80 years so he's mature too and GORGEOUS!!"
See, that's what I'm talking about…

So I'm just trying to find out what the hell happened to me??
One day I borrow the book to read it over the weekend (I wanted something light to read), the next day i find myself reading an e-book that wasn't even finished by the writer and which narrates the same story but from the perspective of Edward (the vampire I'm in love with),then I'm watching the movie (mind you I watched it before), and listening to the soundtrack all day ...I'm just overly taken with the other books that I was planning on taking a day off to be able to finish them!!
It's not the actor in the movie I'm talking about, ok fine the guy looks really attractive in the movie, but what I'm talking about is more "Edward Cullen" the character in the book that makes it all worth obsessing about it…

I'm making a fool out of myself and I'm not even trying to hide it! But at least I know I'm not the only one, since I have supporters of this cause around me at work!
But I'm starting to panic about the day I finish the books…What would happen next? How would I get on with my life? How would i deal with the emptiness it will create? I don't know if I'd consider reading them again (knowing I would do that) but I'm trying to avoid that.

But truth is, I'm really enjoying this whole teenage obsession… I missed it. Not to forget that I'm really enjoying having the thrill to go back home every day and continue reading; something I wasn't able to do in a long time… It's also an excuse (a forced one though) not to go out and do the routine outings I was doing over the past month every single day that involves drinking and eating!! It's my own exile in the world of imagination and I'm loving it!
Yet I hope I don't get out of this phase with everlasting damages like having no more friends and remaining eternally obsessed with that vampire to the point that I would relocate to a gloomy location where vampires don't worry about the sun…

Finally, I would like to say that it's nice from time to time to just live again an age you thought was already out of your system! There's no age limitation for believing in fairytales or vampires and the impossible! You can't always live like a machine and only do well calculated things… We keep ourselves rational about every single move we do in our life whether it's at work, with friends, at home etc... We never allow ourselves to dream and fantasise about stuff that we know are never going to happen...

I'm not saying we should constantly live like this yet it's nice to give ourselves every now and then, a chance to free ourselves from the things "we ought to be doing"…

Cheers to all those who support my obsession... I just hope we all get over it soon without having to lose a big part of our sanity!!

No comments:

Post a Comment